Saturday, February 4, 2012

2/4/2012 The News Media

The news media sometimes describes politicians as "flip floppers" when they change their minds. They are also described as being "out of touch with the common person". I wondered, how would the media describe me if they followed me around all the time......

Well, for one thing, If I had 25 people following me around with camera's and no matter what I did they would still be there, I would blow a gasket and I would tell them all to "go out in the street and play with the trucks!"

After being that cranky, I would be described as an ass for my outburst. Video's of me saying "Go out in the street and play with the trucks" would be played every half hour on the 24 hour TV news.

I would also be described as a flip flopper because I reserve the right to change my mind.  As far as abortion is concerned, I once felt it was WRONG. The discussion stopped right there for me at that time. Now I feel about it this way. It isn't for me. I would not do it or ask someone who was carrying my child to do it.  I can't live for everyone else, I can't push my moral code on the rest of the world.  I wouldn't advocate abortion but I wouldn't stop anyone else from doing it for their own reasons.

The Bible says in Romans 13:1-7 : "Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you. For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also because of conscience. This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God's servants, who give their full time to governing. Give everyone what you owe him: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor."

Abortion has been legal since 1973. It is the law of the land and has been the law of the land for 39 years. I admit there are reasons to disobey the law of the land but this isn't one of them.

The Bible says in 2 Peter 1:5-7 "For this very reason, make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge, and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness, and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love."

Self Control is a something we should all have. Killing someone who allows someone who desires a legal operation isn't self control.  (I'm not going to debate the legal thoughts on when someone is alive or not. That is a form of hair splitting I have no answer for. As I have said, I wouldn't turn to Abortion but I wouldn't stop someone else from exercising their legal right).
If I was a politician, I'm pro life as far as my decisions for myself and I'm pro choice as far as the right to have a legal procedure.

Bearing in mind the above statements, one side would describe me as a baby killer (pro choice) and the other side would describe me as a pro life supporter and my thoughts are just not that cut and dried on the subject. To have my thoughts turned into a sound bite that only broadcast a second or two of my statements would make me SOOOOO mad that I would encourage the 25 reporters to "go play on a railroad track" and I would make the 24 hour news cycle yet again! ACK!

I will be the first one to admit, Mitt Romney has NO idea how I live or how I make ends meet on a weekly basis. This week Romney has been blasted for saying to CNN he is "not concerned about the very poor". Just seeing that statement will have you believe that Romney is a real heartless bastard. To quote the WHOLE statement the meaning changes greatly.

"I'm in this race because I care about Americans. I'm not concerned about the very poor. We have a safety net there. If it needs repair, I'll fix it," Romney told CNN Wednesday morning. "I'm not concerned about the very rich, they're doing just fine. I'm concerned about the very heart of the America, the 90 percent, 95 percent of Americans who right now are struggling."

That is totally different than just saying he is "not concerned about the very poor".   He is concerned and the media is doing a great disservice to this man because they don't have the integrity to post the whole quote and let people decide for themselves. I really hate media spin...quote the person in context and let the chips fall where they may.

I also have problems with throwing around a politicians past life. We have all done things in our life that we don't want on the news.  Have respect for a person's life.  Stick to the describing poor decisions that politician made while in office or in business and leave his "ex-wife/girlfriend/one night stand" out of the discussions. I really don't care about that. He can be the biggest S.O.B. walking the face of the earth, on a personal level, but be the greatest leader of our time.... JFK had more than one affair while in office but he was a good president and had he lived there most likely wouldn't have been a Vietnam war. The week before he died he was bringing a small number of  troops home from Southeast Asia.

By the spring of 1963, Kennedy had reversed course completely 
and agreed with Mansfield:

"The President told Mansfield that he had been having serious 
second thoughts about Mansfield's argument and that he now 

agreed with the Senator's thinking on the need for a complete 

military withdrawal from Vietnam."

 We found out about none of  his infidelity while JFK was alive because the News Media operated under a respect for a person's personal life that we have lost in our day.  I so wish it would come back. 

All of this boils down to this:
I'm GLAD I'm not in the public eye!

Ok, you can now ACK among yourselves

J.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know that about JFK. How about that?

    I have to say that I do care, to a certain extent, about a politician's personal life. It does say something about that person's moral choices. I feel that someone who is not faithful to a spouse should not be trusted with my country. But the media does go too far with spinning unproven sexual harassment allegations.

    As for abortion, I am also pro-choice while I would not opt to have one myself (unless my life was endangered by said pregnancy).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Varda,
    Some of a person's personal life does matter, BUT there is way too much of it going on. To parade the lizard's (Newt's) 2nd wife out two days before the SC debate was, in my mind, dirty pool.

    Abortion in the case of rape or for the life of the mother is something I agree in.

    ReplyDelete