Tuesday, August 20, 2013

How time changes things

Depending on where you are at on the timeline of life might determine how you react to things that happen around you.
 
In my late teens, I was short with most anyone and like any teen, I thought I knew it all.... I sometimes think that is a right of passage we all go through.  

Take Randi, for instance.  I've know her since I was in my late 30's and I remember the first time I ask her to close a room door in my house. She closed it but didn't push it all the way latched.  Because of the influence of the U.S. Air Force in my life, it was either totally open or totally closed and I ask her to close it "all the way" and she did.  I'll never forget that moment.  As we have grown together, things have changed a bit.  One day at work, we somehow started discussing what would make us miss our husband or wife if they passed away suddenly.   For me, it was easy. Randi had some of her clothes in the hall closet of our old house. I could always tell when she had been in that closet, she would close the door but she wouldn't shut it "all the way".  I KNEW that 98% of the time that I put my hand on that closet door, it would shut "all the way" with a small push. 

When we moved to our new house in 2010, I told her "I wonder which closet you won't close all the way in the new house".  I could think of a few closets that might be in the running. The linen closet down the hall, any of the bedroom closets OR the Master bedroom closet.... Well, the Master Bedroom closet won out. 

I could have let her habit get under my skin but now it reminds me of the funny, silly Nurse, I married.   It is a a unique Randiism that reminds me of her and makes me smile

I was once so uptight that I thought about unimportant things way too much and didn't give enough thought about the important stuff.  I was missing the good stuff in life by being tripped up by the little background noises of life.  

Knowing what you can and can't change in life is very important and I know I'll never get Randi to close the Master Bedroom closet "all the way" but....its okay, I wouldn't want to change a thing......

J. 

2 comments:

  1. I absolutley love this. I know about those Randiism's too. Thank you for sharing. :) makes me smile and realize she is where i got all my silly Debism's

    ReplyDelete
  2. Johnny, you seemed to forget that, not only do I forget to close the closets, I usually leave one cupboard open, for either of us to bonk our head on! I think I remember you wondering what cupboard I would leave open at the new house, and I think I've gotten better at both....(I close the bedroom closet now, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I often forget to turn the light off though!! Curious about the Debism's!!!! :0

    ReplyDelete