Saturday, January 26, 2013

Effort

Effort. Websters Dictionary defines effort as:

1: conscious exertion of power : hard work 
2: a serious attempt : try 
3: something produced by exertion or trying 
4: effective force as distinguished from the possible resistance called into action by such a force
5: the total work done to achieve a particular end  
Right now, I think definition #3 fits my needs right now.  #3: Something Produced by exertion or trying.
I am a member of a Kawasaki Motorcycle forum for Kawasaki ZL motorcycles, ZL-OA. I have been a member there since 2009.  That website and the members of that website have saved my backsides more than once while I was rebuilding my 1986 Kawasaki ZL600. 
6/2009, before the restoration.

04/2012, after the restoration
 ZL-OA was started on 5/25/2006 from the ashes of a previous Kawasaki ZL Website , called KERA. ZL-OA was started by the effort of Mark J. Terranova.  Mark was an electrician who had a love for computers and Kawasaki ZL Motorcycles.   ZL-OA has 2,497 members from all over the world.  All of those people either own or have owned or are interested in Kawasaki ZL Motorcycles. 
Due to the effort of one Mark J. Terranova, I know people I would have never met and shared the dream of continuing the memory of motorcycles we all treasure.  If Mark were here he would downplay his efforts because that was the kind of guy he was.  He was quick to help a person who was having trouble with his motorcycle either in person or on the phone.  I never met Mark in person but I did speak to him on the phone twice that I remember.  He sold me parts as I was putting my ZL600 right, he listened to my crazy ideas and never once told me I was nuts
Mark J. Terranova (ZLMark) Riding the motorcycle he loved.
 Mark wasn't just that way with me, he was that way with everyone.  A real down to earth guy with a good head on his shoulders
Right after our move from Sumter county in 2010, I spoke to Mark on the phone. He told me he had been diagnosed with cancer.  I remember feeling like "and you think you have problems" (I really did have problems at the time, and I just started a new job and Randi had just lost a job and moving was NO picnic either) ....My problems were very tiny when compared with cancer.....
As the months passed, Mark kept the forum member updated as to his progress, both good and bad.   It wasn't easy to read about but we all hoped our friend and brother would beat this thing and he would live a good long life and be riding Kawasaki ZL's into his old age.  
Sad to say, it wasn't to be.  On 1/23/2013 at 6:47pm, one of the forum members posted "It is with deepest sorrow and sadness that I have to post this specific piece of information. The time has come that ZlMark has been called upon to pursue his adventures and dreams in another place."  
I was crushed as I read this....just crushed.  
The icon ZLMark used at ZL-OA
 2496 people in this world will continue on and most likely we will all continue riding, fixing and treasuring our Kawasaki ZL Motorcycles, while thinking of our friend and brother and cult leader, Mark J. Terranova, ZLMark because he decided to put forth the effort to make ZL-OA happen.
Thank You Mark, you have made a difference.
 

4 comments:

  1. I had the honor of talking to Mark on a regular basis, as I too, was going through medical issues, that as bad as they seemed, dimmed compared to Mark. I remember times in which I was at my worst and all of a sudden the phone would ring and low and behold, it was Mark I was like "this man took his time out of his day, to talk to me?" Mark always left me with a smile on my face and a better day. As his condition deteriorated, he still posted replys to threads and continue to help others. I remember the last time I talked to Mark...I actually looked at the time we talked, as minutes turned into an hour and a half. My last call was 99 minutes..yes men like to chat 2! The time that I conversed with Mark will always be near and dear to my heart. I can't write anymore, as tears flow again...Mark..I know your at peace and your no longer in pain. Goodbye my friend

    Scoob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this John, everytime I try to come up with the words I get too emotional. This nails Mark and his personality in every aspect! He would call me out of the blue like he knew I needed to hear from a friend at that moment, as he knew I have been going through alot also. But again nothing like cancer. Seems I have lost many friends and family to cancer over the last 10 years, my own dad had a cancerous spot in his colon not long after I met Mark the first time when he was on his way to Taos NM. My dad went through surgery and they had to rebuild alot but he is still with me and so far nothing has recurred I know they say it's a 7 year period before they say you can truely say your in the clear but I am glad he is still around and still has a good quality of life. And I can honestly say I will miss Mark terribly but I am so very thankful he is no longer in pain!
    Till we meet again Mark
    Your friend and fellow ZL nut.
    Terry *aka* Hellion

    ReplyDelete