Saturday, June 30, 2012

Just what does this mean? 6/30/2012

But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, (English Standard Version, Matthew 6:3)
OR if you so desire, the King James Version:
But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:  (I'm a King James Version Fan)

Randi and I once decided to give a gift to a very popular charity. When we took the items to the local pick up point (a church not far from our house), they ask me for my contact information. I went on to tell the person that I didn't go to church there and I didn't wish to give my contact information. After further conversation, I gave them my contact information and walked to the car. Upon entering the car, I told Randi that they ask for our contact information and I wondered aloud how they would use it.  A few months later, I found out. Seems that twice a year we received a letter from this charity asking for further donations.  I can say that I rarely give gifts to any organization just because they ask. Like most things in my life, I have to give it a good long think before I act and I usually act out of the movement of my own mind not due to the begging of any mail, radio or TV ads.

After receiving the second mailing, I called the organization in questions and I ask to be REMOVED from their mailing list ASAP forever and always.  Seems as a parting gift, their leader sent me his newest book along with a handwritten note. A nice touch but I was unmoved in my thoughts about stopping the mail from this organization reaching me again.  I gave the book to a friend who's mother in law was a fan of this person and his more famous father.  I never read a word out of his book.

The book worth reading about such subjects is The Bible.

What does Matthew 6:3 mean to me?  If you give money, time or effort to ANY organization or person in need, don't walk up on the next street corner and yell to the top of your lungs "HEY I GAVE A MILLION DOLLARS TO....(insert your favorite organization here)"
God knows what you gave and how much  you gave, who you gave it to and no one else needs to know.  Does this also mean the tax break you might gain from giving to a church run organization shouldn't be taken? I think it does.  By making that claim, you have just told your "write" hand what the other hand gave....(pun intended)

Jesus preached LOTS about such things....In that same chapter in Matthew (6:2) it says
"So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full." and 6:4 says "so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

Offerings in most churches I've seen have envelopes for people to write their name so they get a report of how much they had given during the past year....but, you can just drop your money or check in the plate without the envelope and at that point, only you and the good Lord above know the story of what happened.

I can't break anyone's arm and force them to believe what I believe....nor do I want do...
I have to do as my conscience directs me.

Remember, if you do give to the needy that there are needy people right in the county where you live or the church where you worship (whether you realize it or not).  People aren't just starving in Africa anymore. They are starving right in the US of A.

J.   

2 comments:

  1. Johnny, again the only way for me to understand this is through the perspective of my own religion which states that there are seven levels of charity. The highest level is when the giver doesn't know the identity of the receiver and vice versa. So according to such a scenario, a charity that put me on a mailing list like that would be depriving me of a chance to do charity at the highest level. Not that this doesn't happen with my own religion's charities--it definitely DOES. Which is why I relate to your issue here. They are robbing you of a chance to do things the right way. And worse yet: trying to force their ideas down your throat just because you tried to do a nice thing. Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Varda,
    100% correct and true.....pontificate further! I have looked at people taking money for charities and said "I'll give you $X.00 if you don't take my name or record who I am or how much I give"....
    Some will do it, others won't...but you are very correct about them trying to force their ideas on you...

    ReplyDelete