Friday, November 22, 2013

It only took 51 years...

Today is my 51st birthday.  For me to type that sentence is a big milestone. Last year that wouldn't and couldn't happen.   While posting a status on Facebook a few days ago about fact people might not know about me:
"5 things people might not know about me.

1. I'm not a native Tennessean. I was born in Missouri when my dad was in the U.S. Air Force. Both sides of my family are from East Tennessee.
2. I was born premature by 3 months. My birth weight was 2 lbs, 9 oz. (yes, you read that right). I lost weight back to 1 lbs, 14 oz. before I started to gain weight
3. I've played guitar (on and off) since age 11
.
4. I purchased my first motorcycle at age 42 (a 1982 Honda CM250C)
5. I did not retire from the Air Force. I separated from the military after 15 years, 9 months. (24 May 1984 - 1 Feb 2000)"
I could have also added a 6th one. "6. JFK was shot on my first birthday"
On the news today when they ask "Where were you when JFK was shot?" my answer is "in diapers and in a crib most likely"...
When I have told some people JFK was shot on my first birthday, they always answer "Oh, your birthday is 25 Nov?" ..er..no...he was shot on my 1st birthday not buried on my 1st birthday. 

It is funny how things that happened when you were a kid will stick with you in ways that you carry into adulthood.  44 years ago today, my first grade class at Alice Bell School sang Happy Birthday to me. I wanted to crawl under a rock. It made me most uncomfortable. That discomfort stuck with me for a long darn time. Last year, at age 50 I decided this silly stuff needed to stop. I can't continue to carry the past around no matter what the reason.  I'll most likely NEVER post this information in public anyplace else because it is yet, just another day in a string of days that have made up my life up to this point.  I still feel pretty private about my birthday.  If I get birthday wishes going forward that is ok and If I don't...that is ok too. 

Randi ask me what I wanted to do for my birthday and my answer "I really don't care as long as we are doing it together."  I like her better than anyone else walking the face of the earth and our 3 adult children, Kathryn; Debbie and Christopher, and their families are close behind.   Our Family is a big bunch of "Your's, Mine, and Ours" and I like it a great deal. 

Turning 50 really made me think about the things I was holding on to from my past and it has made me reevaluate who I am and WHY I am the way I am. I'll be the first to admit, I'm a strange one...*twitch*

In 2004 Randi and I took a trip to Dallas to see Kathryn and Debbie. We saw the book depository and the plaza. It was a solemn moment. Quiet and very reverent.  I was surprised by the number of conspiracy theorist hanging around the plaza. One man tried to give me a paper about JFK's assassination and I told him "You won't change my mind and I sure won't change yours. Please keep your paper"   

It has been a long strange trip and it keeps getting better every day! 

J. 





No comments:

Post a Comment