Sunday, February 2, 2014

A friend who will not leave

John 15:12 -14 NKJV: This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down ones life for his friends. You are My friends if you do whatsoever I command you.

I read this as part of my daily Bible reading. I've read this verse a bunch over the years but this time I was impressed with Jesus being my friend.  That thought made me think about the Son of God being my friend. On a daily basis, day in and day out..... A deep and interesting thought. 

In church this morning, Rev. Beth McConnell, the new pastor at Kathwood Baptist Church read                  1 Corinthians 1:18-25: 18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 19 For it is written:“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise,And bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.”20 Where is the wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the disputer of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For since, in the wisdom of God, the world through wisdom did not know God, it pleased God through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe. 22 For Jews request a sign, and Greeks seek after wisdom; 23 but we preach Christ crucified, to the Jews a stumbling block and to the Greeks foolishness, 24 but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. 25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

The verses above were to the members of the church at Corinth.  The author was trying to get the whole church to stand on the cross as the foundation for their faith.  Not to rely on their own smarts or their own ways BUT to stand on the foundation of the cross and no matter how smart you are, the foolishness of God is wiser than any smarts man can come up with and that God's weakness is stronger that our human strength.

Something to ponder going forward.

J. 


1 comment: