Friday, March 29, 2013

A funny thing happened on the way to today......

Its funny, having been in the military, there is a thousand things you remember because it happened on one day at one time at one moment on that one day. If it hadn't been for that, I wouldn't have such a clear memory of the things that happened in late May 1984.

On 23 May 1984, at the MEPS station on North Central Ave, Knoxville TN, 37917 (across the street from the old Sears building). I was 5'9" tall, my pulse was 93, my BP was 130/something and my weight was 139lbs.  I was a thin 23 year old kid.  I met a guy that day, one William Stout who was 27 and a black belt in martial arts.  We hit it off. I knew from the first time I saw and talked to William, we would be friends and I was right.  When Basic Training was all over, 8 weeks later, leaving William hurt almost as much as leaving Knoxville did on the 23 of May, however, that is not the point of all this old mush.

I can never forget that on that one day at that one time in that one moment, my weight was 139 pounds. It is on my first military ID card and I have that ID card still yet today.

About 4 months ago, I went to take off my wedding ring and almost couldn't get it off. As I tried again, and again, it finally came off.  At that point my weight was about 231 pounds. The next morning when I grabbed up my wedding ring and I knew I couldn't put it on because it would never come back off. I was heart broken, dejected and just down right hurt.  My wedding to Randi was one of the best things that happened to me and she ask me if she could get the rings we wear right after she moved to SC. In 2000 those rings cost $95 each. Now, in 2013, they are $195 each. OUCH!

It has come to the point that I must lose some weight. I MUST.  It is sort of ironic. As a kid I was SUCH a picky eater.  I had so much bologna as a kid that I won't touch the stuff now that I'm an adult and the thought of FRIED bologna just turns my guts over in handstands and flip flops. ACK!  Now, since I turned 50 on 22 Nov 2012, I enjoy eating a little to much.  We all age, we all lose our hair or our hair turns gray, we all get a bit of a gut but it has gotten out of control for me.  *sigh*

For as bad as all the things in previous paragraph are, the worst part that hurts the most is the fact I can no longer wear my wedding ring.  It is just a silly symbol, a piece of metal but for it being a silly symbol or piece of metal. it is my silly symbol and my piece of metal and it holds together a marriage that means a great deal to me.  Is it perfect? No.  No marriage is and no marriage will ever be perfect but it is my little haven of imperfection with Randi standing beside me.  Of all the reasons I need to lose weight, the reason that stabs me worst of all is that I can't wear my wedding ring. No more, no less.  It makes me sad in a way that not much makes me so sad.

Each step we take molds who we are. From now on, each step I take better make me sweat a bit of the previous steps off of me. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Best of luck to you, Johnny! You can do anything you set your mind to, I feel sure. Your story here kinda reminds me in a way of something...Jim & his wedding ring. I know he adores me & as such, treasures his ring as well, used to never taking it off, except for the few times when he lost 1, then another while riding his bike, pulling his gloves off & then, w/out immediately noticing, gone, bc he'd sweat while riding & off it came, on 2 separate occasions. When we replaced his (had changed sizes on his ring, 2nd of those times as well). Then, he decided he wouldn't wear it while riding for fear of losing another ring. I was fine w that decision or whatever he chose to do for it's the relationship that truly matters, however, I do understand the symbolism of the ring & how important it is.
    Well, sometime last yr, after a bike ride, he forgot about putting his ring back on & we went to his 30th HS reunion & he said to me, "Oh babe, I'm SO sorry, I forgot to put my ring back on & a few ppl asked me when I went to get our waters if I was married or had I never gotten married & I kept pointing saying, 'Yes, over there is my wife, Dawn.' realizing why they were asking me. I told him I hadn't noticed him not wearing it & that it was fine & not to worry about it. I saw the look on his face & it was a special look that I just know, instantly understand, & is between the 2 of us. He honestly felt terrible about not having his ring on & even the thought that I may not exist bothered him tremendously on his face. I hadn't noticed, then hadn't minded, but when ppl asked him those questions bc of that symbol not being there, HE minded, which then, made me feel bad for him.
    As far as the rings go, they should mean something special, true enough, & as far as your decision to lose some weight goes, of course, you are wished all the luck in the world, my friend. Plz don't forget the patience part w it for that it takes to get long lasting results..the kind you'll recall 1 day, @ 1 time, when able to say, "I've done it!" I suspect will be another day you shall never forget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, everything happens for a reason, and I know you're a God-fearing person. Think of this as a blessing that will help you change your lifestyle to a healthier one that will keep you together with Randi for many happy and healthy years together! It's a blessing in disguise.

    ReplyDelete