Thursday, March 21, 2013

Labels

Labels. We as people are labeled in some way or form. White, Black, Gay, Straight, English American, Irish American, Africa American,Motorcycle Rider, Cage Operator, Manager or Worker, Mom or Dad. You get the idea. I tend to believe one important label has been forgotten or left off:
PEOPLE.
The Constitution says "We the PEOPLE" not "we the (insert your favorite label here,)"
I at one point I was way opposed to Gay marriage. While driving to work this morning I heard a Gay couple recite there wedding vows. The overwhelming emotion in that man's voice shook me to my core. He truly loved his husband just as much as I love/loved my wife in a similar moment in my life  on 20 Jan 2000.
The real news in this story would have been if he and his husband could have married and it WASN'T in the news and it was the normal course of life every place in this great land of ours.
I neither support or am against the LGBT community but I support everyone having the ability to carry on there life in the manner they deem fit for them without the weight of a label around their neck to give the rest of the world thoughts about them that are unfair, unjust and untrue. I might not agree with them but their trip in life isn't my trip in life.
Lord help us judge less and love more as Jesus commanded. Help us to love the sinner while abhorring the sin. And help us remember about the log in our own eye before opening our mouths to speak about the splinter in our friend's eye.
The point of this? Watch the labels you attach to a person. They are a person, first and foremost.
J.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful ACK~ You are right, we are PEOPLE! I'm sure that I've labeled people, and for that, I've been wrong. I'll make a conscious effort now, even if I THINK it, to not SAY it....and will try to not even think it! Very well said!
    Randi

    ReplyDelete