Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Daily ACK 12/14/2011 The other woman in my life

Sophie at the Dr. Aug, 2009

Sophie, we got her 22 Oct, 2008

I'm being good, HONEST!
ACK! 22 October, 2008, My life changed. I had another woman come into my life. Our relationship started kind of rocky but we made it work. 

We got Sophie due to a phone call I got at work in October 2008 from my friend Karen James. She told me about a female doxie that a friend of hers wanted to give away or the dog would go to the Sumter A.S.P.C.A. I called Randi and we decided to take a look and see what we thought. We had thought about another Doxie but we wanted a black and tan male Doxie. At the time I didn't get off from work until 5:30pm and then something had happened to keep me there even later.  I got to a point that I could leave my work and I met Randi at a very nice house near downtown Sumter. I walked into the house and Sophie's owner was holding her and we all talked about the dogs and why she was wanting to give away Sophie. Seems Sophie hadn't gotten the hang of potty training.  While we were talking, Sophie started squirming in her owner's arms and she ask Randi "What do you think this dog wants?" and Randi said "I think she needs to go outside"....so outside we all went, Randi, myself and Sophie's owner. Upon getting down, Sophie shot outside and was chasing squirrels from tree to tree. We never saw her "do" anything while outside, if you know what I mean.....

When we got back in the house, I got Sophie up in my arms for the first time. It was love at first paw, for me at least. Sophie wasn't real strong on anyone holding her and she still is kind of a "touch me not" sometimes. The deed was done and we decided to bring Sophie to the nut house with the rest of us cracked nuts!

The first few days at the nut house were different for Sophie. She met Dylan and Dylan went a little doggie NUTS over her....it was very much like "HEY!!! that's a girl! WHOO HOO!"  Poor Dylan tried every way in the world to mount Sophie....men are SUCH pigs sometimes. Sophie was a nervous girl. You could look at her wrong and WHAM..she would tinkle on the floor. It took about a month for her to get the message about going outside. We always take our dogs out on a leash and the first few times outside were interesting. Sophie wanted to chase squirrels and we had leash in our hand to redirect her "efforts".

Sophie's arrival caused a change with Dylan too. Sophie slept in a crate and was used to sleeping in a crate. Dylan had always slept with us. Seven years of sleeping on the bed. It had come to the point that Dylan and I had begun to fight for who took up most of the bed! If one dog could sleep in the crate, Dylan could sleep in the crate! His first few nights in the crate were unhappy for Dylan but he now goes to bed without a problem.

Sophie is a lot of things. Sassy, hard headed, to name a few. She is driven by food. after a second round of back trouble in Dec 2010, we put our dogs on the "Doggie Diet" A half a cup of food in the morning and another half cup at 5:00pm.  The second diet day, at 5:30am, Sophie ate her half cup of food and then she pushed her bowl toward me with her noise so as to say "HEY, how about some FOOD in this bowl!" She still isn't crazy about the whole diet thing.

When I walk in at night, there Sophie stands at the door....then to her doggie bed to get a tummy rub from dad! (I make her go to her doggie bed for a tummy rub because she sometimes gets excited and she will tinkle just a tiny bit...I would rather wash a dog bed than make the carpet nasty)

She is good to the core and I love the stuffing out of her. We wouldn't trade her for the world!

J.

3 comments:

  1. "Poor Dylan tried every way in the world to mount Sophie....men are SUCH pigs sometimes." I found this sentence confusing on many levels. I will need to ponder this at length. I'm sure there are life lessons here that my dull brain just cannot grok at present.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely written, Johnny! I love to see a man showing his love for a baby or any animal...SO sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Sophie ack. She is a sweetheart! I love the way she tries to trick either of us in to more food if one of us wasn't there when the bowl was filled the first time, kind of gives you a " I didn't get food yet
    Would this sweet face lie to you?". YES, Sophie, it would but we both love you to bits!

    ReplyDelete