Sunday, June 14, 2009

The Daily ACK 6/14/2009


ACK!

The 24 hours of Le Mans is on and I missed the start of the race yesterday. I enjoy almost any kind of auto racing that isn't "go fast, turn left and don't crash". (that last statement describes both NASCAR and IRL [indy racing league]). If you like racing of any type, watching an endurance race is a different kind of mind set. Yes, a race is a race is a race but endurance racing has so much time involved in it that even if you are not in 1st place, if you are on the lead lap, you stand a chance of winning the race because anything can happen. 3 or 4 years ago I saw a team at Le Mans change a whole transmission in there car in 9 minutes and they went back out and were still in the lead of the race! (Changing a transmission on a regular street car takes HOURS and isn't easy to do) Le Mans cars are designed to be easy to work on because there is so much time during the race that you can work on the if you push it into your garage to do the work. (The rules only allow so many people to work on the car in the pits but if it is in the garage, you can have an almost unlimited number of people working on the car). I might have missed the start of the race but I'm not missing the end of the race!

I'm not much of a NASCAR fan. I never have been. I just don't see what the big deal is. They do have a few road course races but most of their races are of the "go fast, turn left" type. I live within 2 hours of one of the first NASCAR superspeedway at Darlington SC and I thought about going to watch part of the race weekend live a few years ago, but I don't stop everything to watch it on TV. I'm not really into the IRL either but at least they have open wheel cars and do drive on a few road courses during the year. I'm a fan of anything that gives the USA a true open wheel racing series again. I'm not a Danica Patrick fan. I think she needs a good swift kick in her ass for being such a hot head. I think it gives the IRL a bad name to have a driver acting like that on TV. (I have seen at least 4 or 5 times that Danica has gotten mad because some other driver did something to her on the track and to have her get out of her car after she got back to the pits and march to the other drivers pit stall and run her mouth to that other driver!!) She might be able to drive anything with wheels on it but her actions leave a bad taste in my mouth! Randi says that her actions also give women in general a bad name. I agree

Things here at the nut house are doing good....Methinks I have a trip to Santee in my future. I also see eating at the Cracker Barrel in my future! I just got my 2002 Ford Focus ZTW back from getting the transmission rebuilt and I want to see how it works going down the interstate at 70 MPH and going to Santee is a good trip for seeing if the car is going to work good. I think it will be OK. I missed that car something bad but it the time I didn't have it I rode the Kawasaki ZL600 alot which I think has helped make me a better rider.

Sophie and Dylan are at my feet and Randi is beside me. Randi has been very good to me over the years with my racing bug. She lets me watch the races and puts up with me running my mouth about blah, blah, blah about F1 racing and for all I know she is planning next weeks dinner menu in her head while listening to me. I don't follow sports much but I follow most forms of auto racing at least enough to know what is going on without much trouble. Everything from drag racing to road racing to DTM (German stock car racing) I either read about it or watch those races when they come on TV.

In the next few days I'm moving The Daily ACK to a blog and I already have the website. The address is http://http://thedailyacksc.blogspot.com The website for http://thedailyack.blogspot.com was taken so I added an SC to the address. The person that owns the website I wanted is also a computer person but he translates his website into about 5 different languages and I don't think there will be any confusion with my website. The Daily ACK will still show up here in facebook but the writing will be done on the blog and sent to my facebook account.

Ok..I'm off to start the day and see what life will hold for me today.

J

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for checking to make sure the car worked right on the highway, ending up in Santee, and miraculously Cracker Barrell!!

    ReplyDelete