Thursday, November 10, 2011

The Daily ACK 11/10/2011 Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Clause

ACK! I post on Facebook and The Daily ACK started on Facebook.  A friend posted a status stating "Got the question every parent dreads . . . Momma is Santa Claus real..." My comment to her post stated "The truth shall set you free....6 was about the age we had to deal with that....and we told our son the truth and he took it well and we explained that other kids might still believe so don't go blabbing that truth to just everyone..."...after my post everyone else that posted told her to tell her child that Santa was "real". One person said " If you don't believe, then you won't receive!" any gifts.

The real reason for the season is that Jesus Christ was born. No more, no less. 

ACK! In my mind this person just told her child that his instincts are not to be trusted and mom or dad knows better than anyone in the world.  I can only think of ONE time I wasn't straight truthful with my son when he was a kid and he ask a question and that question was whopper! It is the opinion of this blogger that kids know and notice more than we as adults give them credit for on a daily basis. 

The one time I remember NOT telling Christopher the straight truth, he was 8 years old. We had been to a public library book sale at the mall in Sumter. On the drive home, he ask a sudden question..."Daddy, what is V.D.?" I darn near wrecked the car in the nearest ditch! I ask him where he found out about V.D. and I thought the answer would be "at school" or "from a friend". The answer to my question was that he had seen a book at the book sale about V.D. WHEW! well..THAT wasn't as bad as it could be.

I was quiet for a few moments and I tried to think and think and think of a point of reference I could start from and I couldn't think of one bit of knowledge an 8 year old might have that I could build on to explain what V.D. is. I finally ask him "Christopher, have you kissed a girl?" his answer was "no" at that moment and I told him that V.D. concerned things that were MILES beyond a kiss and I didn't think, at that moment, that he had the knowledge basis for me to build an answer to his question. I told him I was sorry that I couldn't be straight with him. He took my lack of an answer well but it troubled me that I was anything less than 100% honest with my son concerning the larger world and the pitfalls in it.

People who see their kids always AS kids do their children a great disservice in the larger world and how that world around us effects them!.....

I can't fix the world but I did OK with the little part of it I raised. Was I a perfect parent? NO..not by a long shot, but we lived through my son growing up!

J.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you. I told Kathryn at about 6 or 7, she was angry with me, but she asked, and I knew that she knew, and I wouldn't lie to her! Great ACK!!

    ReplyDelete