Saturday, November 19, 2011

The Daily ACK 11/19/2011 3rd Party Politics

A recent quote from NPR I've read states:
"Dissatisfaction with both parties is at an all-time high, and trust in Washington is at an all-time low — exactly the kind of environment that is welcoming for an alternative to the Democrats and the Republicans. "There's too much opportunity, too much anger with politics," says one pollster."

If "we the people" wanted to elect a 3rd party President, we would have to deal with different state laws dealing with having a 3rd Political Party.  Ballot access would be dealt with on a state by state basis

"Each state has its own ballot access laws to determine who may appear on ballots and who may not. According to Article I, Section 4, of the United States Constitution, the authority to regulate the time, place, and manner of federal elections is up to each State, unless Congress legislates otherwise."  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballot_access)
I find it interesting if "we the people" do want a choice OTHER than democrat or republican, we would have to get Congress, that is FULL of democrats and republicans to legislate a 3rd party into existence!
Hmmmm! Kind of like letting the fox watch the hen house if you ask me.

I understand States rights and I understand sometimes Federal law trumps State law depending on what the issue is related to the law in question. (The interstate commerce law is a prime example of Federal law trumping State law) but in this case, I think the American people are truly READY for a 3rd political party and current Federal law prevents this from happening in an easy manner at this time.

I believe the founding fathers of this country are rolling over in their graves when they look at the gravy train current politicians are on. This country was founded to prevent a ruling class and a King that didn't listen to the will of the people.  It would seem we are at a similar place with the current two party system of Government.

Something to think about......
J.



2 comments:

  1. That's what you get for listening to NPR. We can't even find a Republican candidate anyone can agree on, and now we have to find a third party candidate, too???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Varda, I listen to NPR alot...I must be getting old, I used to listen to classic rock on the way to work and now I listen to news. (it might not be perfect news but it is news. I have to filter it through my gray matter). I'm not saying we need a third party in politics, BUT if we did there isn't an easy way for a third party to have a chance. I'm a republican but I have NEVER voted the straight party line. I vote for who I think will do the best in office. Sometimes I'm right, sometimes I'm wrong.

    ReplyDelete