Saturday, November 12, 2011

The Daily ACK 11/12/2011 Veterans day thoughts.

ACK! Veterans day was a great time. Randi and I went to eat at Olive Garden and I got a free meal! WHOO HOO!  Being a Veteran does bring some blessings that I have enjoyed. One of my good friends, Sandy Johnson Bolus, wrote a beautiful statement on my Facebook page. "
I want to thank you Johnny for all you did & still do for our country. Most people don't think about the fact that even though your home you still carry around the scars, aches, pains, smells, terror & much more you deal with everyday. I thank God for you Johnny not only because you served but because in a lot of ways you still serve.Thank you!"
I was very touched by her words and humbled because Sandy hit the nail on the head about life after the military.  I deal with a lot of things that most people don't realize because I look pretty good for an old fart! It is the old situation of " You don't look sick..." Because I'm 40% disabled according to the Veterans Administration, I attended college for darn near free and I graduated in 2005 from Francis Marion University with a BBA in MIS. Buying a house using my VA benefits makes buying a house MUCH easier.  I realize that my 15 years 9 months in the U.S.A.F. has giving me a leg up on some things in life. Does this make me better or worse than any other citizens in the USA? No...100% NO. 

It would seem some Veterans think Veteranism trumps being a Citizen of the USA.  I was once at the William Jennings Bryant Dorn V.A. Hospital, in Columbia SC, and I saw a truck with almost the whole rear tailgate and window covered with information that this person had survived a certain battle during the Koren war.  This truck made it 100% clear that his man was a Veteran and he was going to "wave the flag in your face" to let you know the fact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A77KOkNbp9w  (CCR's Fortunate Son)

Does my being a Veteran define me? Well, maybe in one sense it does. Every step you took before today is the sum of what you are today and I can't deny for 15 years 9 months, my steps happened in the Air Force but I sure as hell don't put bumper stickers on my cars stating that I survived the First Gulf War in 1990 and 1991.  If is wasn't for the military I wouldn't be a Computer Network Technician today and I KNOW that fact.

I knew people while I was in the military that being in the military 100% defined them on a daily basis and after they retired from the military they had a hard time adjusting to life away from the military.  These people needed to get their stripes tattooed on their arm so they would always be "CMSgt or SMSgt SOINSO". I would guess you could say that seeing my father retire from the Air Force made me realize more than most that there is life after the military and I wouldn't always be in the military.   

Now, for me at least, I'm no longer SSgt Massengill, I'm Mr. Massengill and I wouldn't go back in the Air Force to save my life! It was good while it lasted but it is well and truly over for this old Veteran. The military can't take anyone back in that is more than 10% disabled SOOOOO that leaves me out of ever serving again. 

Yesterday while at dinner I saw a few people who wore a hat from a former unit they served with but most of the Veterans at the Olive Garden were just normal, everyday people, from what I saw.  I'm proud to have served with them. 

J.

1 comment:

  1. Ummmmmm...you forgot that you are no longer "Sir", I'm not sure you were ever crazy about that one, and not so crazy about Mr. Massengill. As I know you, you are Johnny, husband, Dad, and now, GrandDad!! Love you and proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete